Besides the thousands of online casino games that you are accustomed to playing online, there’s a thrilling and exciting way of enjoying casino games online. Welcome to live casino gaming – an authentic way of enjoying land based casino gaming from the comfort of your own home.
The live casino experience is a 100% safe and secure way of enjoying some of the classic table and card games in real time, from the comfort of your home.
But before you do that, we think it’s best that you sit back, relax, and enjoy reading this definitive guide on how to play live games in top online casinos. After that, you can visit any one of the recommended live casinos and enjoy playing the games to the max!
A Brief History of Live Casinos
Online casino gaming was only invented in the mid-90s. Yet, despite its relatively new status, it has managed to grow significantly over the past decade. This popularity and growth of online casino sites have resulted in more online casinos.
With the advancement of technology, online casinos incorporated several other features, including live streaming technology. The first online casino adapted this technology in 2005 and officially marked the start of live casinos that we know of today. At the time, live streaming technology was still at infancy, and could only be done through the old-fashioned webcams.
However, with laptops, smartphones (with front cameras), and a high speed internet connection, live streaming grew exponentially and so did the live casino gaming.
Live blackjack and live roulette were the first live casino games to be offered at the online casinos. And as the popularity and demand grew, live baccarat, poker, sic bo, and craps games were also added to the list. Today, casino players can stream land based casino games non-stop without leaving their homes.
Available Live Casino Games to Play
The live casino platform is a fully-fledged and independent way of enjoying casino games. And while it may feature a variety of games, they are broadly categorized into six groups. These include the following.
- Live Dealer Roulette – There are three versions of roulette that you can play online; European, American, and French roulette. These games come with different odds, but their method of playing remains the same.
- Live Dealer Blackjack – With very many similarities to the pontoon, blackjack is a game with a relatively low house edge, which makes it very popular among players. While playing the game, you’ll be playing against the house – and not other players.
- Live Dealer Baccarat – This is the casino game of choice by the renowned 007 himself and it’s not difficult to see why – because the house edge can go as low as 1.06%. As you play the game, you have three bets to make – banker bet, player bet, or a tie bet. Each one of this offers different payouts with the tie bet offering the highest odds
- Live Dealer Craps – This is a game that involves throwing a pair of dice onto the table, hoping that you’ll land a winning combination. There are several bets that you can make as you play craps, with each one offering you various odds. However, the lowest house edge is usually set at around 1.4%
- Live Dealer Sic Bo – Sic Bo isn’t as popular as the other enlisted games above, but in countries such as China, Singapore, and other Asian gambling countries, it’s one of the most played games. Like craps, Sic Bo uses dice for its gameplay with each game offers you different odds
In other words, these are all classic table and card games that you are accustomed to playing at the land-based casinos. You can opt to play one game at a time or play them concurrently at a go. This is thanks to the multi-screen option.
Live Casino Games vs Software Based Games
Before the invention of the live casino games, there were software-based games. They are the games that most of the Ghanaian players are aware of. Instead of being streamed from the land-based casinos, software-based games determine the outcome of the game using the special Random Number Generator software. This is opposed to the real live streams that live casinos use.
Besides this significant difference, what are some of the other differences when it comes to the two? The table below highlights them.
Live Casino Games
- Can only be played using real money
- Dealers are involved
- High low bet limits and high maximum bet limits
- You can chat with players seated at the tables
Software Based Games
- Available for free – in the demo mode
- Dealers substitutes by the RNG software
- Very friendly bet limits,
- Not possible to chat as there’s no supported feature
The Working Mechanism of Live Casinos
Live casino gaming constitutes at least three rooms – depending on the software brand powering the casino. The first room is the live studio room– where all the dealers and tables are situated; the second room is the software room and the last room is the analyst room.
All these rooms work in sync to ensure that the games are streamed from the studio to your device. Other supportive features of the live casinos include the following.
- The Games You Play – They include the listed titles above
- Cameras – which in most cases use state of the art Hollywood like technology
- Game Control Unit – They are responsible for helping the dealer(s) run the games
- Dealers – They operate the tables. They’ll take your bet, spin the roulette wheel, deal the cards or throw the dice as well as collect losing bets
Picking the Right Live Casino
This section targets players who are new to playing online casino games. You may be a veteran trying to find the best place to enjoy your live casino game or you could be totally new to the whole concept. Regardless, this section is here to help you! When picking the right live casino platform, these are some of the features that you need to look at.
- A Valid License – One that has been issued by a renowned licensing body. Licensing information is usually found at the bottom section of the casino
- The Games Selection – This is as important as the licensing information for the live casino. Look at the game selection offered at the platform to ascertain that they indeed have a game you’d like to play
- User Experience – How fast does the website load? Do the other software based games lag while playing? How fast is it to navigate around the website? These are some of the questions you need to ask yourself when looking at the user experience
- Terms and Conditions – How clear and transparent are they with their terms and conditions? Do they have any hidden information deep inside their terms and conditions? These are the two most important questions you have to consider when looking at this!
- Software Provider – They are responsible for powering the live casinos. When looking at the software providers, look at the reputation of the brand as well as the number of partnerships with the providers
You can always read more about how to pick the right live casinos in our in-depth guide. We’ve also included a step by step procedure on how we select the live casinos included on our pages.
Live Casino Software Providers
There are multiple software providers in the industry, and at the time of writing this review, there are at least 50 providers. But while there’s a huge number to pick from, there are those that specialize in developing live casinos. One such name is Evolution Gaming, a company that was established in 2006.
Despite being established after the likes of Playtech, who were developing live casinos, Evolution Gaming has become the largest provider, powering virtually 90% of the live casinos online. The company has several studios located across Europe. Given how big the company has grown, the recently expanded in Canada, where they seek to capture the Americas market.
Live Casino Licensing – What Is It and Why Is It Important To You As a Player?
Live casino licensing is simply the insurance of licenses to the live casinos. This aspect has been made possible by several licensing bodies that operate in different parts of the world. For live casinos that operate in Ghana, they are required to hold a license issued by the Gaming Commission of Ghana. If it’s an offshore live casino, the brand can have a license issued by the authorities such as The Malta Gaming Authority, The UK Gambling Commission, The Government of Curacao, and others.
By holding a license issued by any of the listed bodies, you are assured that the live casino satisfies the following important requirements.
- It is committed to offering a totally safe and secure gaming environment
- The games offered are totally fair and random
- Responsible gambling is one of the aspects it’s concerned about
Supported Live Casino Platforms
The majority of Ghana citizens are only aware that PC platforms are the only way to play live casino games. But at the time when the live casinos were being invented, there was another marvel that was already developing in the tech world. Mobile casinos were at their infancy and like the live casinos, they’ve grown by leaps and bounds over the past decade. Today, players, including Ghanaians, can enjoy live casino games through their mobile devices through two platforms.
- The Download Platform – This basically requires you to download an application to your device to enjoy the games offered
- No Download – If you do not have enough data bundles to download the application, you can always use the no download (or browser-based) platform to enjoy the games offered
Live Casino Gaming Requirements
So far so good! You know the available games, how to pick the right live casino for you and identify the best software provider as far as live gaming is concerned. You are set to go, right? Not quite! You still have to ensure that you have the following in place in order to have a smooth time playing the live casino games.
- A stable internet connection – Your internet doesn’t have to be super fast to enjoy the live casino games, rather, it should be stable at all times. This ensures that you are not disconnected when in the middle of a game
- A Gaming Platform – This could either be your PC or mobile device. If you are using your mobile phone, ensure it meets the minimum system requirements to play the game
- Adobe Flash Player – Live casino games, like any other flash based games, require Adobe flash player to function seamlessly. It’s therefore important to ensure that your adobe flash player is up to date as you play the live casino games
- An Account at The Casino – You can only play live casino games using real money. The only way to do this is by creating an account at any one of our recommended online casinos.
Live Casino Bonuses and Promotions
The ever increasing competition in the online casino industry leads to newer invention every other day. One such invention involves using free bonuses and running frequent promotions to attract new players to the site.
Since their inventions, these two have become part and parcel of the online casino industry, enabling millions of players from across the world to enjoy free play time at the live casinos and online casinos.
Once you’ve joined an online casino, these are some of the bonuses and promotions that you can expect: Welcome bonus, Reload bonus,VIP bonus, Cashback bonuses.
Land Based Casinos vs. Live Casinos
Since they were invented in 2006, the popularity of live casinos has been growing and is now in tight competition with their land based counterparts. And it’s not difficult to see why most people prefer playing at these establishments.
Land Based Casinos
- They tend to have a strict dress code
- High operation costs result in a high minimum bet limits
- Very few incentives, which mostly target the high rollers and VIP players
- You have to travel to the casinos to play the games
- Due to the space factor, the number of games available is limited
Online Live Casinos
- No dress code required to play the games
- Low operation costs results into low minimum and high maximum bet limits
- Bonuses and promotions are very common
- All the games and services can be accessed from wherever place you fell like
- A wide variety of games available
Pros and Cons of Live Casino Gaming
What are some of the advantages of live casinos? Or rather, why should you play at a live casino? Here are some of the reasons why!
- You don’t always have to be part of the game to enjoy. You can use bet behind feature to bet on other players seated at the table and win some money.
- Thanks to the table generation feature, you can always create a new table for yourself as soon as the available tables are fully occupied.
- Live casino games are available round the clock. You can always play the game whenever you feel like – in the morning, on your way to work, in the middle of breaks at work or at night.
- The dealers are very supportive and very friendly. They are always on standby to offer you any help to ensure that you have a good time playing live casino games.
- A wide variety of games, with different bet limits and themes, ensures that you find a game for yourself whenever you want to play.
The only significant disadvantage of playing live casino games is that you can only play games in real money mode. This can prove to be costly especially to some of the new casino players trying to learn the ropes of live casino gaming!
Right from the day they were incepted, live casinos were bound to be a success, mostly because they offer a convenient alternative to the land based casinos and repetitive video slots. Seeing that the live casinos are gaining a large player base in countries such as Ghana, it’s clear that they do have a bright future ahead.
There are special studios across different parts of the world, more especially Europe, recreated to mimic the land based casinos. However, some casinos stream their games straight from land based casinos in the UK.
To play live casino games, you need the following:
- An account at the live casino site
- Real money, which you’ll use to wager at the casino
- A mobile device or PC platform, which you’ll use to play the live casino games
Unfortunately not, you cannot continue playing after being disconnected. To know if the bet was settled, check your account balance or game history! If you cant find any of these, contact support for assistance.
Look for the ‘chat’ or ‘live help’ button located on the homepage. Alternatively, you can write to them using the email channel.
Yes, it’s possible. Using the multi-screen feature, you can always play multiple games side by side on your device’s screen.
There are several strategies that you can use as you play live casino games. While they help you lower the house edge, they don’t assure you of wins each time.